NPTR: Alert #19: State Board of Equalization Hearings this Friday (May 30th)

Wayne Fischer TahoeWayne at nvbell.net
Tue May 27 21:04:11 PDT 2003

Date: May 27, 2003

Alert #19: State Board of Equalization Hearings this Friday (May 30th)

Dear Property Owners,

This is an update from the previous alert (#18).  As scheduled, our next
hearing before the Nevada State Board of Equalization is this Friday, May
30th.  Our attorney, Norman Azevedo has been given 3 hours to present our
case.  Prior to the 3 hour presentation, Norm will first present four
motions to the Board:

1)  Allow new evidence to be introduced since the County Board of
Equalization Hearings.
2)  Be permitted to subpoena the Washoe County Assessors for deposition in
which to gather additional evidence for our cases.
3)  Allow additional property owners to be heard who did not file an appeal
with the Washoe County Board of Equalization by January 15th, but did file
an appeal with State Board of Equalization by March 10th.
4)  To reject the Washoe County Assessor's appeal to deny the 10% lake
front reduction.

Following is the approximate schedule for Friday's hearings:
8:30 AM Norman Azevedo to present the four above motions and the Board to
rule on those motions.
11:00 AM        Norman Azevedo to present our tax valuation inequities
12:30 PM        One half hour lunch break
1:00 PM Norman Azevedo to continue his presentation
2:30 PM Washoe County to present their opposing arguments
4:00 PM Board to discuss both sides and then make a determination on what
to do next
5:00 PM Adjourn

Click on the following link for the official agenda from the State Board of
Equalization: http://tax.state.nv.us/taxnew/documents/sbe030530.pdf

Click on the following link for the list of people Norman Azevedo and
Elaine Guenaga are representing at the State Board of Equalization:
http://tax.state.nv.us/taxnew/documents/sbe030530_exhibits.pdf

This is also the exhibits referenced in their official agenda.

Hearing Location:
The hearings are being held at Washoe County Commission Chambers, 1001 East
Ninth Street, Building A in Reno.  For those of you who are coming from
Incline Village and Crystal Bay, take Highway 431 to 395 North to I80
West.  Go about 1 mile and take Wells Ave exit, turn right on right on
Wells, go 1 block, turn right on 9th Street, go about 1/2 block and turn
left into the parking lot.

Click on the following link for a map to the Washoe County Commissions
Building on 9th
Street:
http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&ed=5fdLHup_0Tr1xIN.g_vImGoEolhOufyMdtyzQb4Tz7oJzj8jTo246doHydUm7jxuk_zelJwIx4zWf7UlOWU-&csz=Reno,+NV+89512-2845&country=us&cs=9&name=&desc=&poititle=&poi=&uz=89512&ds=n&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=9&off=e

Importance of Hearing:
This is a very important hearing where the Board's decisions regarding
Norm's motions plus his presentation will have a significant impact on our
challenges to the assessment practices by the Washoe County Assessors
Office. In order to make a strong statement to the State Board of
Equalization, we need a LARGE turn out of Incline Village & Crystal Bay
property owners.  Additionally we need to underscore the concern and anger
over the outrageous 31% increase in our total assessed property values.

Sincerely,
Wayne Fischer, Web Master
Tax Revolt Committee Member
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

If you have questions or added comments, please direct them to:
Ted Harris, Chairman Tax Revolt Committee,
The Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
831-3914 or tedgh at nvbell.net

PS.  For the latest Bonanza article on our tax revolt, which appeared on
Friday, May 16th, go
to:  http://www.nevadapropertytaxrevolt.org/Page1.html   Click on the first
link.  Also listed on this page are additional previous articles on our tax
revolt.

Go to www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org for more information on our "Nevada
Property Tax Revolt" and to www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org/AlertIndex.html
to add or delete your email address.