NPTR: Alert # 22

Ted Harris tedgh at nvbell.net
Sun Jul 20 16:31:22 PDT 2003

  Alert #22:  "Nevada Property Tax Revolt"

  Report on the "Tahoe Tea Party"

  Date July 18, 2003

  Dear Property Owners,

  For those of you who live out of town or were not able to attend  the "Tahoe Tea Party" on Friday evening, click on this link for the Lake Tahoe Bonanza report on our demonstration. Link to the article here:  http://www.tahoebonanza.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2003307200101 .  This article by Rick Adair also appeared in the Nevada Appeal:  http://www.nevadaappeal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030720/NEWS/307200105/-1/ARCHIVES .  We were also given excellent coverage on Channel 8, on the 11  o'clock news Friday evening.

  As mentioned in the article, the County Treasurer mailed your tax bill last Thursday and you should be receiving it this coming week.  We have prepared and you should also anticipate receiving in the mail next week a letter to all Incline/Crystal Bay property owners suggesting that every property owner pay their property taxes "UNDER PROTEST".  Our letter includes instructions and a simple form that you can copy (in triplicate) and mail to the County with your tax payment.

  The District Attorney argued before the State Board of Equalization that because our attorney is representing only 123 property owners, who have filed appeals, that our effort consists of only a "small number" of Incline/CB malcontents, this is simply not true.   We need to make a statement to the County Assessor that there are thousands of properties that have been over assessed. The overwhelming majority of property owners were simply not aware of the illegal methods being used by the County Assessor and that they must have filed an appeal by no later than January 15th.  Since we began publicizing our efforts to challenge the Assessor we have had hundreds of inquiries on what one can do to join our effort and make a statement of protest.  Unfortunately, unless you filed a formal appeal by January 15, your complaint of over assessment will not be heard by the County Board of Equalization nor the State Board of Equalization for the tax assessments for this year.

  However; as we have recently indicated, we intend to file a lawsuit to attempt to obtain refunds for past years of over taxation of Incline/Crystal properties based on the assessor's illegal methods of valuation. We will also seek a court order requiring the assessor to roll back the current assessments and re-do all appraisals in IV/CB according to the law.  The law states that tax assessments must be  "uniform and equal".   We need to make a statement to Washoe County and to a court of law that there are thousands of property owners who have been over assessed and not just the few who have appealed their assessment.

  Paying your property taxes under protest is a legal step, permitted by law, paying your taxes "under protest" costs you nothing, and will make a strong statement when we get to court with our law suit.  Should you decide to join us in paying your taxes under protest, please remove the tear-off coupon in the letter you will be receiving this week, mail it back to us with your check mark in the box letting us know that you will be paying your taxes under protest.  There are 6,700 homeowners in IV/CB.  If most of you do pay your taxes under protest, the message that will be sent to the County Assessor will be heard all over Nevada !!

  Sincerely,

  Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Sub-Committee Chairman
  The Village League to Save Incline Assets
  (775) 831-3914,

  tedgh at nvbell.net

  The Village League to Save Incline Assets Board of Directors:

  Maryanne Ingemanson, President -- Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman --Les Barta, Law Research -- Wayne Fischer, Web-Master --  John Carney, Financial --  Chuck Otto, Public Relations - Dale Akers, Historian-- Joyce Anderson-Bock, Personal Relations

  PS: Read Rick Adair's July 16th article in the Bonanza: Tahoe "Tea Party" to protest high property tax