NPTR: PROPERTY OWNERS ALERT #40

Wayne Fischer TahoeWayne at nvbell.net
Wed Feb 11 20:09:32 PST 2004

PROPERTY OWNERS ALERT #40

DATE:  February 11, 2004
TO:  Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM:  Nevada Property Tax Revolt Committee
SUBJECT:  Injunction Court Hearing

As many of you may be aware, if you have been following events reported in
the newspapers and from our alerts, we have filed a lawsuit for a temporary
injunction against the Washoe County Board of Equalization for violations
of the Nevada Open Meeting Law.

The court hearing has finally been scheduled for (this) Friday 13, 2004,
(an appropriate date), at 2:00 PM in Reno at the District Court Building,
50 West Liberty Street, Department 10.  Judge Elliot, will be hearing our
case. He is the same judge who will also be hearing our class action
lawsuit.  We would strongly encourage anyone who is interested to attend!!!

It should be a very interesting afternoon. Plus it is important that Judge
Elliot realize how many voting taxpayers are involved in our effort.  The
law requires, among other things, that people who are appealing their taxes
be noticed of their hearing date and time by certified mail, 21 working
days in advance, or 5 days if hand delivered.  None of the folks who have
already had their appeals heard were given this kind of notice. Many
appellants were unable to attend their hearings, as they were out of town,
or had other business or personal meetings pre-scheduled.  The Washoe
County Assessors then made a point of how few people were actually
appearing for their hearings. Of course it is unfair to purposefully deny
people the opportunity to protest the horrific tax burden that has been
placed on their homes.

Normally, a court action of this kind is heard immediately. Any procedure
which has been undertaken illegally, (in our case without proper
notification) will become void.  The County was notified prior to January
15 that their lack of proper notice to the appellants was not approved by
Statute or by Regulations. Nevertheless, the Washoe County Board of
Equalization continued the hearings as quickly as possible, in an effort to
complete the procedures before the court could rule on the legality of
their notification.  No concern was given to the folks who had, with great
effort in some cases, appeared at their hearing. The result of which would
now become void, should the court rule in our favor, which we fully expect
the judge to do.

The ruling in this lawsuit affects every taxpayer in the state of
Nevada.  We strongly encourage you to attend. See how the system works.
Become involved and participate in keeping your right to protection under
the law.

I look forward to seeing you on Friday at 2 PM in Reno

Sincerely,
Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
775-831-4011
mingemanson at charter.net
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

PS.  Please click on the following link for a map to the District Court
Building.
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=YKYAZup_0TrUXSPFep.6enjNimE.Y_1QjK8vEZwhNw--&csz=Reno%2C+NV&country=us

PPS. Please try to arrive by 1:30 PM to find a parking place close to the
District Court Building and then to find Department 10 room.