NPTR: Emailing: Alert # 44

Ted Harris tedgh at nvbell.net
Fri Apr 23 11:20:43 PDT 2004

Nevada Property Tax Revolt

            Forms

            News Articles

            Alert Archives

            Tax Links & other
            Taxing Information

            Legal Support &
            the Lawsuit

            Subscribe to
            Alert Email List

            About Us

            Contributions

            .

      Quick Update on Tax Revolt Activities

      Alert #44 - April 22, 2004

      Dear Fellow Taxpayers,

      For your information, following is an update on taxing events.

      Newspaper Articles

        a.. There have been several recent and very informative newspaper articles about our Tax Revolt. If you would like to read these publications, Please click here for a list and associated links.
      Barta Rebuts Assessor

        a.. Les Barta, a longtime resident of Incline Village, has written a series of articles, published in the Bonanza, rebutting Assessor McGowan's attempt to justify the current assessment practices. Click here to link to the article.
      County Board Members Resign

        a.. Many of us who appealed our assessments to the Washoe County Board of Equalization felt that the hearings were a mockery of justice. Ron Fox, the Chairman, was formerly a chief appraiser for the Washoe County Assessor's office. Naturally, he was biased in favor of the assessors and against the taxpayers. Both he and Martha Allison have since resigned. Please click here for the RGJ article, thrid paragraph.
      Washoe County Commissioners

        a.. The opportunity now exists for the Washoe County Commissioners to appoint two new members to the County Board of Equalization. Our present Commissioner, Jim Galloway, has been most helpful in arranging for us to speak at the last Commissioner's meeting. We explained the need for a balanced Board, which will vote for equitable and legal tax valuations.
      Nevada Tax Commission

        a.. We are also working with the Nevada Tax Commission and have attended more than 15 State Department of Taxation workshops to reform the tax laws.

        b.. It might also be of interest to know that Les Barta has been crusading for relief on property taxes for many years. Currently he has an individual case before the Nevada Supreme Court, which he brought on a pro per basis, (without an attorney). In addition, Les, along with Maryanne Ingemanson, and other members of our board have attended 15 Department of Taxation workshops since the first of the year. The purpose of these workshops has been to review and correct the assessment regulations that had not changed in 20 years.

        c.. New regulations that were proposed by the Department of Taxation attempted to ratify many of the illegal methods being used by the Washoe County Assessor. Les is not a lawyer, but as a result of his past experience on property tax regulations and law, he has done a magnificent job of having our version of the appraisal Rules accepted. Thanks largely to the efforts of Les Barta and Maryanne Ingemanson we believe the revised regulations will go a long way toward defining and correcting what the assessor can and can not do.
      Stay Tuned

        a.. We will let you know when this activity is finalized. We haven't gone away!! Keep watching for more news. Judgments on our lawsuits are in the very near future.
      The Board of the Village League would like to thank every one for your continued faithful support.

      Sincerely,

      Ted

      Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
      The Village League to Save Incline Assets
      775-831-3914
      tedgh at nvbell.net
      www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

      .