NPTR: Alert #48

Ted Harris tedgh at nvbell.net
Mon Jun 14 21:39:55 PDT 2004

Nevada Property Tax Revolt

            Forms

            News Articles

            Alert Archives

            Tax Links & other
            Taxing Information

            Legal Support &
            the Lawsuit

            Subscribe to
            Alert Email List

            About Us

            Contributions

            .

      A CALL TO ACTION

      ALERT: #48
      DATE: Monday, June 14, 2004
      TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
      FROM: Nevada Property Tax Revolt Committee

      Dear Fellow Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners,

      This letter is to let everyone know where we've been, where we are and where we are going with our tax protest. In addition, it serves as a CALL TO ACTION for a large-scale, one-voice, and united front to the taxing authorities on June 25 -- MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW.

      By way of background we, (united as a community), signed nearly 4,460 petitions protesting our Assessor's unfair taxation methods and results, paid our taxes under protest, presented our cases to the taxing authorities, and filed 2 lawsuits. Each of these activities have made an impact and have born results. We'll speak to these in a minute.

      While all of this has gone on, a small group of dedicated and knowledgeable people have been working diligently, for almost a year, with the Department of Taxation and the Nevada Tax Commission in a series of 17 workshops to tackle the major issues we have with the Assessor's appraisal techniques and to get them changed, to prevent the type of injustices we have seen in the past. This effort has been extremely successful to this point -- we are comfortable with the mutually agreed changes to the Rules and Regulations that have resulted from these meetings.

      HOWEVER, we now learn, at the last minute, that the Washoe County Assessor has been engaged in back door efforts to subvert both the process and the changes. WE MUST NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!! The final presentation of the changes, where they will be adopted into Law is to be held on Friday, June 25, at 9:00 A.M. at the Nevada Legislative Building, 401 Carson Street, Room 1214. We must fill the room to show our solidarity and support for these much-needed reforms and to withstand any attempt by the Washoe County Assessor to undermine our efforts.

      In addition to the struggle to change the appraisal methods, two lawsuits have been filed against the taxing authorities to protest illegalities and seek appropriate redress. One of these suits was dismissed because not everyone had, "exhausted all Administrative Procedures". It is interesting to note that the taxing authorities did not want to have the substantive legal issues heard, but Washoe County and the State chose to file Motions on a technicality to get our lawsuit dismissed. Makes one wonder what they were afraid of, doesn't it?

      An Appeal of this decision to the Nevada Supreme Court was filed on Friday. The other lawsuit is moving forward, as that judge declined to hear their Motion to Dismiss, so the legal merits will be heard and we strongly feel that our positions will be ruled on favorably.

      Finally, another piece of good news. Ina Haupt, a long-time Incline resident and realtor has been appointed to the County Board of Equalization. Now, we will have a fair, knowledgable, and sensitive representative.

      Again, we need you to take a few hours out of your busy schedule to join your friends and peers in Carson City on the 25th of June. Thanks for your support.

      Sincerely,

      Ted

      Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
      The Village League to Save Incline Assets
      775-831-3914
      tedgh at nvbell.net
      www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

      .