NPTR: Property Tax Alert # 54

Ted Harris tedgh at nvbell.net
Mon Aug 30 16:31:52 PDT 2004

Nevada Property Tax Revolt

            Property Information

            Forms

            News Articles

            Alert Archives

            Tax Links & other
            Taxing Information

            Legal Support &
            the Lawsuit

            Subscribe to
            Alert Email List

            About Us

            Contributions

            .

      A Progress Update on
      our Tax Revolt Activity

      ALERT: #54
      DATE: Monday, August 30, 2004
      TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
      FROM: Nevada Property Tax Revolt Committee

      Dear Property Taxpayers,

      The following is an update on our progress in fighting for and securing a fair and equitable resolution to the property tax issues in Incline Village and Crystal Bay.

      Our unified goal is quite simple:

        a.. Obtain a roll-back in taxable value to a base year of 2002-2003 (before the huge increase of 2003/2004)

        b.. Use a verifiable estimate (factor) based on the newly approved regulations for 2003/2004 and 2004/2005

        c.. Support a reasonable tax CAP (a maximum percent increase per year) for the near future, and then

        d.. Determine if such a CAP could be made permanent;

        e.. Or take a Proposition 13 type approach for the long term.
      It is critical that we get the base year correct. Otherwise, we will live with the injustices done for 2003/04 forever, (and they will compound). It is quite clear that we will not prevail by staying in the taxing authorities' "system". It is biased, protective of its own, resistant to change, and views us as Income Village.

      We have therefore initiated the following:

        a.. Have 18 individual cases that are being heard in court in Carson City. The outcomes of these cases have significant implications for all of our claims. The results of these will be known in early September. In addition, we have just launched a second round of lawsuits in this court.

        b.. Have appealed to the Nevada Supreme Court the decision in a class action lawsuit claiming illegal methods were used in assessing properties in Incline Village and Crystal Bay.

        c.. We have engaged the services of a noted professor and appraisal expert to show the gross inequities and illegalities made by the Washoe County Assessor's Office.

        d.. Have initiated a Bill Draft Request, which provides consequences if the Assessor's Office does not correctly interpret and utilize the new legal appraisal methods, which became Law on August 4, 2004.
      Tax Cap Proposed Statute

      A proposal has been initiated recently for a tax CAP, by Mark Schofield, Clark County Assessor. Simply stated, in its current form, this is a maximum percentage increase in any year on the taxable value of your property. The proposal calls for a maximum 6% increase or the assessed amount, whichever is less.

      We fully support the concept of a CAP. It protects everyone from huge, unexpected increases, is predictable, is more affordable, and protects us from the practices and biases of the Washoe County Assessor's Office.

      While we fully support the concept, we offer qualified support for the content. We feel 6% is too high (a lower rate and/or the rate of inflation are better options). All properties should be included, plus "growth", (new properties to the tax rolls), should be included in any analysis.

      As the CAP proposal moves forward, many interest groups will try to influence the outcome. The Village League will absolutely be at the table and involved in the process.

      Some form of a tax CAP is inevitable. We will be there to have our voices heard on the size and shape of whatever is proposed.

      Thank you for your continued support and interest. We will continue to keep you fully informed.

      Sincerely,

      Maryanne Ingemanson

      Maryanne Ingemanson, President
      Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
      www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

      Plus Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members: Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman, Les Barta, Law Research, John Carney, Analyst, Wayne Fischer, Webmaster, Todd Lowe, Financial, Dale Akers, Historian, and Chuck Otto, Public Relations

      .