NPTR: Alert # 57 Follow-up

Ted Harris tedgh at nvbell.net
Sun Sep 26 15:56:54 PDT 2004

Nevada Property Tax Revolt

            Property Information

            Forms

            News Articles

            Alert Archives

            Tax Links & other
            Taxing Information

            Legal Support &
            the Lawsuit

            Subscribe to
            Alert Email List

            About Us

            Contributions

            .

      Department of Taxation Hearing
      Tomorrow, Monday, Sept 27th

      ALERT: #57, 2nd Notice
      DATE: September 26, 2004
      TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
      FROM: Nevada Property Tax Revolt Committee

      Dear Fellow Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners,

      I am sending this alert for a second time due to the critical importance of tomorrows Taxation Hearing. If you can attend, you will find the hearing to be extremely informative.

      Today's (Sunday) Bonanza carried a very good article about tomorrows hearing. If you did not get a chance to read the article, please click here to read the article, OR read the article at the end of this page.

      Text from Alert #57
      As many of you are aware, the Village League hired Dr. Marvin Wolverton, a renowned tax assessment expert and professor at UNLV to do an independent study on the tax assessments in Incline Village and Crystal Bay. His study is now completed.

      Dr. Wolverton will be presenting the results to the Nevada Tax Commission and Department of Taxation this coming Monday, September 27th. The results will put these Agencies in shock and awe!! They will prove that the inconsistencies and inequities in our taxes are incredible.

      If you would like to see the fireworks, we strongly encourage you to attend.

      The Meeting is at 9:00 a.m. at the Legislative Counsel Bureau, 401 South Carson Street -Room 3137, Carson City Nevada. Click here for the agenda.

      We strongly encourage you to attend. This is a very important hearing, as the outcome will affect the taxable values of all of our properties. Attorneys Norman Azevedo and Suellen Fulstone, the attorneys who represent the taxpayers will be in attendance.

      We will see you there.

      Regards,

      Ted Harris

      Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
      The Village League to Save Incline Assets
      775-831-3914
      tedgh at nvbell.net
      www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

      Plus Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members: Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman, Les Barta, Law Research, John Carney, Analyst, Wayne Fischer, Webmaster, Todd Lowe, Financial, Dale Akers, Historian, and Chuck Otto, Public Relations

      PS. If you decide to drive by your self, following are the instructions for parking in Carson City.

      Parking: The best place to park is in the parking structure at the corner of South Stewart and East 5th Ave (400 S. Stewart Street). Entrance is from South Stewart street. As you approach downtown Carson City, take Stewart off highway 50/395. Just as you cross over 5th Ave, go about 100 feet (north) and turn left into the parking structure. Click here for a map & directions to the parking structure.

      The Nevada Legislative Building is on the west side of the parking structure. About a 30 second walk to the building.

      Expert to show property tax woes

      Erin Roth
      Bonanza news editor
      September 26, 2004

      A valuation expert will present a study on inequities in Incline Village's property tax assessments at a Nevada Tax Commission and Department of Taxation meeting tomorrow.

      Dr. Marvin Wolverton, an expert in real estate valuation and statistics and a professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, will show Incline's tax values are systematically higher and less consistent for Lake Tahoe properties in Washoe County compared to Douglas County, he said Friday.

      He will show that Incline Village and Crystal Bay property values are out of equalization with each other, with the rest of Washoe County, and particularly with Tahoe properties in Douglas County.

      "In Incline Village, there's a greater potential for some property owners to pay more than their fair share and for others to pay less," Wolverton said.

      He explained Douglas County's property tax assessments are three times more consistent than those in Washoe County.

      "The median basis on average for assessed values is higher in Incline Village than for similar properties in Douglas County," he said.

      After hiring Wolverton four months ago, the Village League to Save Incline Assets, a group protesting Incline's property tax assessments, is overwhelmed by his study's results.

      "Dr. Wolverton has found an enormous problem," said Les Barta, a director of the Village League. "It's bigger than we expected ... a complete mess ... a statistical disaster."

      "There's overwhelming evidence that this is a fundamental problem in the way we are being assessed," Barta said. "An expert is showing clear and obvious evidence there is a problem."

      But Wolverton said it's not a personal indictment of the assessor.

      "This is indicative of the difficulty of appraising in Incline Village," he said. "It's an issue of resources and training. It's easier for the assessor to appraise homes in homogenous subdivisions, but that's beside the point. The constitution and laws require the assessor to overcome that, and he's not doing that in Incline Village."

      In showing property tax assessment inequities, Wolverton plans to recommend how the tax commission's new rules and regulations should be used to solve the problem.

      "My goal is to make property tax assessments in Incline Village more consistent - uniform and equal," he said.

      The Nevada Tax Commission and Department of Taxation meeting will take place at 9 a.m. Monday, Sept. 27 at the Legislative Counsel Bureau, 401 South Carson Street, room 3137, Carson City. For more information, call Ted Harris at (775) 831-3914.

      .