NPTR: Alert #96 - Washoe County Invoice for Additional Taxes

maryanne ingemanson mingeivlt at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 10:46:14 PST 2006

Village League
                            Tax Revolt                                                          March 31, 2006

  To All,

        Many of you have called with inquiries about the strange letter and Invoice for additional taxes that was received from the Washoe County Treasurer.  Others may have the same questions, hence this Alert #96.

       All of those 1200+ taxpayers who Attorney Thomas Hall represented before the Washoe County Board of Equalization last year, 2005-2006, won an 8% reduction in their taxable Land Value.  The Washoe County Assessor, Robert McGowan, appealed last year’s ruling by the County Board to the State Board of Equalization, where our victory was overturned.  The Village League then appealed the State Board’s decision to the court of Judge McGee for Judicial Review.  Of course, the Attorney for the County has tried every possible way to postpone our hearing before the judge; however, we will be presenting arguments to the court toward the end of April.  We feel confident that we will win in our effort to overturn the State Board’s 8% increase to our Land Values.  If we are correct, the County will then have to return those extra taxes with interest, to all of you that received the unexpected billing.  The Invoice that you received reinstated the 8% increase to your Land Value,
 therefore increasing your Taxable Value and your property taxes.

       If you have not as yet paid the extra taxes, be sure to make the payment, “UNDER PROTEST”.  If you do not have a form for paying under protest, go to our website at www.nevadapropertytaxrevolt.org.  Click Forms on the menu, download, and send with your tax payment.  Remember; ALWAYS make every payment to Washoe County, Under Protest.

      It never ceases to amaze all of us, how convoluted this entire tax situation actually is.  Every day is yet another new revelation.

     We have two cases that should receive rulings from the courts sometime this month.  As we get the news, I will immediately send out Alerts to all of our members.  Everything is now leading up to the Supreme Court hearing in the middle of June.  That will be the culmination of all of our efforts for the last four years, and hopefully will “button up” the Tax Revolt, by upholding the tax reductions that we have won for everyone in the Incline Village / Crystal Bay area.

    Our thanks to all of you for your continuing support, and your confidence in our ability to prevail in this extremely difficult endeavor.

    Sincerely,

  Maryanne Ingemanson, President

  Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc. – a non-profit organization – FEIN 88-0399029
  1165 Vivian Lane - Incline Village, Nevada  89451 – telephone - 775-831-4011 – fax - 775 – 831-0325
    Email - mingemanson at charter.net