NPTR: Incline Village League - Alert #98 - Mystery Notice

Maryanne Ingemanson / Vicki mingeivlt at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 12:42:58 PDT 2006

Village League
                                          Tax Revolt
                                                                                    May 1, 2006

  DID YOU RECEIVE THE “MYSTERY” NOTICE?

  Quite a number of callers have contacted us about a Notice recently received from the State Board of Equalization.  At first glance it appears as if the recipient should be doing SOMETHING with this two page communication.  After all of the forms, notices, petitions and other paper work with which the taxing authorities bombard the citizens, no wonder there is confusion about the “mystery notice”.

  In actuality,  the notice is to alert you to the fact that the Washoe County Assessor  has appealed your property tax reduction, which we won for you at the County Board of Equalization, to the State Board of Equalization in an attempt to get your reduction overturned.

  During a telephone conversation with the Department of Taxation, I was informed that not everyone in IV/CB whose taxes were reduced would receive a mailed notice because it would cost the State $15,000!!! So, an announcement would be published in a newspaper, (they were not sure when or in which paper it would appear), for all of us who were not “fortunate” enough to be personally noticed.

  Also, the State Board of Equalization has not scheduled any of the hearings yet, as “they are waiting to see what the courts will do”.

  COURT DECISION IS CRITICAL

   If you were one of the chosen few who received the “mystery notice”, look at the chart near the bottom of the page.  The Total Taxable Value in the County Assessor column indicates the amount at which your property was valued. The Total Taxable Value in the County Board column is its current value. That huge reduction is due to the roll-back of property assessments to the 2002 tax year that the League won for all 8700+ Incline Village / Crystal Bay area taxpayers.

  You do not have to sign, fill out or send anything in response to the communication that you received.  I would suggest that you keep it with your file of tax information which all of us are accumulating.

  Even if you did not receive the mailed “mystery notice”, you did receive the roll-back of your assessed property value to 2002.  We will vigilantly watch for the newspaper announcement and notify as many of you as possible, if and when it is published by the Department of Taxation.

  WE NEED DONATIONS

  That huge reduction in your assessed property tax value is what we are fighting in court to defend.

  Needless to say, Washoe County, the City of Reno and the State are pulling out all the stops in their efforts to prevent us from getting confirmation of our victory from the court.  Washoe County sees the “cash cow” of Incline Village/ Crystal Bay wandering down the road.  To add insult to injury, all of this was accomplished by a four year, true grass roots effort of ordinary volunteer citizens against the established bureaucracy. This momentous result is what we are determined to preserve before the Supreme Court on June 15, 2006.

  I am so reluctant to ask for contributions; however, we are now at a critical point. We have to pay our attorneys, who are working untold hours preparing for the Court hearing, WHICH WE MUST WIN.

  So many of you have been unbelievably generous in your continuing      financial support. There are no words that can truly convey how much we appreciate your contributions. Please convey to your neighbors and friends, who may be unaware of the League’s success, that whatever donations they can afford to make will be gratefully received.

  Once again, our sincere thanks for your unwavering confidence in our ability to win this very tough battle

            Maryanne
   Maryanne Ingemanson, President

  Board Members:  Maryanne Ingemanson, President, Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman, Les Barta, Law Research, John Carney, Analyst, Wayne Fischer, Webmaster,
  Todd Lowe, Financial Analyst, Dale Akers, Historian, and Chuck Otto, Public Relations

  Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc. – an approved non-profit organization – FEIN 88-0399029
  1165 Vivian Lane - Incline Village, Nevada  89451 - telephone - 775-831-4011 - fax - 775 – 831-0325
  Email - mingemanson at charter.net

http://mail.yahoo.com