NPTR: Incline Village League Alert #106 - Primary Elections

Maryanne Ingemanson / Vicki mingeivlt at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 15:25:53 PDT 2006

Village League
                                          Tax Revolt and Reform

                                                                                                   July 17, 2006

  PRIMARY ELECTIONS ARE AUGUST 15, 2006

  We have received a number of inquiries regarding which candidates that the League feels would be most helpful to our Tax Revolt and Reform effort.

  Perhaps, a short discussion about what we know at this moment would be helpful.

  ·        To us, the most important office to be filled in this election is that of Washoe County Assessor.
  o       The position of Assessor directly affects how our properties are assessed, and how the Nevada laws regarding property appraisals are going to be implemented.
  o       “The power to tax is the power to destroy”.  That quote says it all.
  ·        Of the candidates running for this office we feel that
  Thomas Koziol is the best choice.
  o       Though Tom is a registered Independent he is running as a Libertarian.
  o       Tom Koziol’s strongest opponent is running as a Republican. We must alert all of our Republican friends that this is NOT the time to just vote Republican. We don’t want to split our vote and end up with his Democratic opponent.
  o       Mr. Koziol served on the County Board of Equalization for the past two years.  He saw first hand the problems that were caused by the current County Assessor, Robert McGowan and he understands that citizens deserve better performance.
  o       Thomas Koziol became aware that the Assessor’s office was still using “tear-downs”, time adjustments, unsupported “view” and the infamous “rocks on the beach” categories in spite of the laws that the League was successful in getting enacted in August 2004.
  o       Tom Koziol heard  the appraisers admit under oath that they were not using the proper methods of appraisal then, nor did they intend to use the approved rules for appraisals in the future.
  o       Thomas Koziol has what the assessor’s office needs most – management and leadership. He commanded 400 United States Air Force personnel during his 20 years in the service and has proven organizational skills.
  o       His proven management ability, coupled with not being an “insider” make him a far better choice that any of his competitors.
  o       He would not have to defend the current incompetent, subjective system that was developed by and is presently being followed by his opponents, who are appraisers in the assessor’s office.

  ·        The candidate running as a Republican is currently an appraiser in the office of the Assessor and has worked for the county for 18 years, (ever since he was 15).  A vote for this opponent continues the entrenched and unacceptable practices that have damaged property owners.

  ·        The Democratic candidate also was an appraiser with the Assessor’s office for twenty years before he retired in 2005.  He has exhibited vindictive behavior against taxpayers and those who have heard him speak at the county board have been offended by his frivolous attitude toward serious tax problems.

  TAX REVOLT AND REFORM

  ·        Perhaps you noticed in Alert #104 that our next goal is to ask for help from the Legislature in the upcoming session, starting in February 2007.  We are now adding “Reform” to our “Tax Revolt” mission statement.
  As both of the Assembly seats in our bi-furcated districts will be vacant, it becomes imperative that we elect candidates that are willing to listen and to help solve our property tax concerns.

  o             Our first concern is to get “teeth” into statute enforcement.  Surprisingly, there currently are no consequences should an agency, county or employee thereof, choose not to follow the law!
  o             Our second concern is to provide that a victorious citizen at least receive an award of attorneys’ fees, should it become necessary to initiate a court action to correct inequities.

  DISTRICT 28

  There are candidates running for the Assembly in Districts 28 and 39 that we feel are truly interested in our problems and capable of making a difference when elected.
  ·        Ty Cobb is the choice of a majority of our Board for District 28.  This District was previously represented by Sharron Angle, who is campaigning for a seat in the U.S. Congress.
  o       Senator Bill Raggio, Senator Randolph Townsend and other prominent community leaders have endorsed Ty Cobb’s candidacy.
  o       Ty is a fifth generation Nevadan, whose family first arrived in Nevada in the mid-1800’s and settled in Virginia City.
  o       He currently is an Associate with the law firm of Jones Vargas and lives in Reno.
  o       His past experience spans active community and national involvement, including two years of service with the Pentagon and in Iraq.

  ·        We feel of the candidates in District 28, Ty Cobb will be the most  effective in helping us in our effort to gain support in the Legislature.

  DISTRICT 39

  ·        Ric Gardner is our choice to represent District 39 as Assemblyman. The office was formerly held by Lynn Hettrick.  Assemblyman Hettrick was primarily responsible for the success of the Village League in getting AB 392 passed unanimously during the 2005 Legislative session.  We feel that Ric Gardner can follow in Lynn Hettrick’s footsteps in the 2007 session of the Legislature.
  o       Ric Gardner will be the first representative to hold this position who actually lives at Lake Tahoe.
  o       He understands the concerns we have with our unique tax situation as well as TRPA and other very specific challenges.
  o       Ric Gardner is a small business owner and understands the difficulties faced by many businesses today.
  o       He is a fiscal conservative who completely supports the League’s efforts to obtain equitable and fair property taxes for all taxpayers in Nevada.
  o       Ric’s legal training will help him be effective in analyzing the Bills that come before the Legislature.
  o       The Gardner children attend public school in Douglas County, where Ric Gardner is an involved family man.
  ·              Ric Gardner will be a District 39 Assemblyman who understands the effort that we have made to equalize the tax burden in the Tahoe Basin and be willing to carry forward into the Legislature the points that have to be addressed in order to make all of our gains long lasting.

  DISTRICT 4

  ·              Senator Randolph Townsend - Always our favorite!  Though he is running unopposed, we want Senator Townsend to know just how much we appreciate all of his help, guidance and support over these last 4 years.
  o       Senator Townsend has been there for us, whether it was in testimony before the Tax Commission, the County Board of Equalization, the Supreme Court hearing last June or other myriad venues.
  o       Senator Townsend has been our hero, our rock and our counselor.  Be sure to let him know how much we appreciate all of his efforts on our behalf. He is the absolute epitome of a Senator who truly represents his people.

  These are some of the folks that we are supporting and that we feel will be best suited for the offices that they seek.

  I hope that these thoughts may be of some help in analyzing your Primary Vote selection.   Be sure to vote, so that the name of your favorite candidate will appear on the November Ballot.

                          We will see you at the polls.

Sincerely,

  Maryanne
  Maryanne Ingemanson, President

  Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
  Maryanne Ingemanson, President, Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman,
  Les Barta, Law Research, John Carney, Analyst, Wayne Fischer, Webmaster,
  Todd Lowe, Financial Analyst, Dale Akers, Historian, and Chuck Otto, Public Relations

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc. – an approved non-profit organization
  FEIN 88-0399029
  1165 Vivian Lane - Incline Village, Nevada  89451 - telephone - 775-831-4011 - fax - 775 – 831-0325
  Email - mingemanson at charter.net