NPTR: Incline Village League - Alert #107 Tax Bill

Maryanne Ingemanson / Vicki mingeivlt at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 1 16:09:37 PDT 2006

Alert #107

  Village League
                                Tax Revolt and Reform

                                                                                         August 1, 2006

  WHAT DOES THE TAX BILL MEAN?

  Many of you have called or emailed us with your concerns about the Tax Bills that you just recently received from the office of the Washoe County Treasurer.  Your confusion is understandable.

  The amount of taxes that the Bills indicate that are owed is HIGHER than last year, even though the League won a roll-back at the County Board of Equalization hearing on March 8, 2006 for all 8700 parcels in Incline Village and Crystal Bay.

  The assessed values for all of the property owners in the IV/CB area were reduced (rolled-back) by the ruling of the County Board of Equalization to the 2002-2003 tax year.  The property tax amount as indicated on the tax bills that were must received  would be reduced by somewhere between 30% to 50%.
              This ruling was contingent on the hearing of the case now before the Supreme Court.

  The Washoe County Assessor then appealed the County Board’s decision to the State Board of Equalization.  The State Board hearings are now being scheduled by the Department of Taxation.

  As yet, a date has not been determined for the State Board to address the appeal of the Washoe County Assessor for a consolidated hearing of the 8700 parcels.

  WHEN WILL THE SUPREME COURT ISSUE AN ORDER?

  At the close of the Supreme Court hearing on our case, June 15, 2006, Chief Justice, Robert Rose stated that a decision would be forthcoming in 60 to 90 days, which is much faster than their normal decision making process.

  August 15, 2006 will start the 60 to 90 day window.  It has become apparent that several agencies were planning to wait until the Supreme Court ruling was issued before continuing with the normal scheduling of hearings etc.

            We are hopeful that the Order may be forthcoming within the next two weeks.  If, as we anticipate, the decision from the Supreme Court is in our favor, the County must then re-issue all of the Tax Bills that must be lowered.  Should you not receive a corrected Tax Bill by August 21, 2006, (when the first tax payment is due), remember to PAY UNDER PROTEST any taxes that are due.

  WHY SHOULD WE PAY UNDER PROTEST?

  Our feeling is that Washoe County is hoping that many of the 8700 IV/CB parcel Owners will forget to Pay Under Protest.  This would result in the County saving an enormous amount of money, as they could then refuse to acknowledge refunds that might be due to those who had neglected to include a Pay Under Protest note.

  The “Pay Under Protest” form is available on our website at www.nevadapropertytaxrevolt.org  - click on Forms in the Menu, download and send with your payment or send whenever a third party makes a tax payment for your account.

  WATCH FOR FUTURE ALERTS

  A lot of things are happening, and they all affect you.  We will try to keep everyone informed as events unfold.  Many will be highly significant, so stay tuned.

  We are feeling confident about where things stand at the moment; but, as always, keep your fingers crossed.  It is never easy!

  Sincerely,

  Maryanne
   Maryanne Ingemanson, President

  Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
  Maryanne Ingemanson, President, Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman,
  Les Barta, Law Research, John Carney, Analyst, Wayne Fischer, Webmaster,
  Todd Lowe, Financial Analyst, Dale Akers, Historian, and Chuck Otto, Public Relations

  Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc. – an approved non-profit organization – FEIN 88-0399029
  1165 Vivian Lane - Incline Village, Nevada  89451 - telephone - 775-831-4011 - fax - 775 – 831-0325
  E-mail - mingemanson at charter.net