NPTR: Alert #110 - Incline Village League September Update

Maryanne Ingemanson / Vicki mingeivlt at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 12:43:19 PDT 2006

Alert #110

  Village League
                                          Tax Revolt and Reform

                                                                                         September 9, 2006

  WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?

  All of us have been asking the same question regarding the decision that we are expecting from the Supreme Court.  Their ruling has been delayed due to numerous decisions that had to be issued by the Court with respect to the Initiatives that will be voted on by the public in the November election.

  The importance of analyzing these possible changes to the Nevada Constitution in time for printing and delivering Absentee Ballots took precedence over almost all of the other cases that are pending, including ours.

  WHEN WILL A DECISION BE ISSUED?

  Hopefully, we will hear something in the near future.  Of course no one knows the exact date, but we feel certain that the Supreme Court Justices are just as anxious to publish their decision as we are to receive it.  All hearings on our tax cases before the State Board of Equalization have currently been cancelled.  Additionally, numerous  tax cases that are awaiting decisions in the District Courts are also on hold.  We must be patient, and waiting is difficult.

  WHAT IS OUR NEXT GOAL?

  We are already scheduling meetings with some of the Legislators to solicit their help during the next Legislative Session, which begins on February 2, 2007.

  In order to maintain the enormous gains that we have won in obtaining equalization of property taxes, there must be accountability included in the existing statutes.  Currently, there are laws to protect the taxpayer; however, if an agency or an employee chooses not to obey the laws there are no resulting consequences.

              Several of our elected officials have already agreed that the existing statutes need “teeth” in order to be effective, and that they will help us in trying to get an appropriate Bill passed that will accomplish that goal.

              This Alert is somewhat short; but, as soon as we hear anything from the Supreme Court your Alert will be immediately forthcoming and will be entirely in CAPITAL LETTERS!!

              Sincerely,

  Maryanne
              Maryanne Ingemanson, President

  Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
  Maryanne Ingemanson, President, Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman,
  Les Barta, Law Research, John Carney, Analyst, Wayne Fischer, Webmaster,
  Todd Lowe, Financial Analyst, Dale Akers, Historian, and Chuck Otto, Public Relations

  Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc. – an approved non-profit organization – FEIN 88-0399029
  1165 Vivian Lane - Incline Village, Nevada  89451 - telephone - 775-831-4011 - fax - 775 – 831-0325
  Email - mingemanson at charter.net