NPTR: Incline Village League - Alert #113 -Supreme Court

Maryanne Ingemanson/Vicki mingeivlt at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 11:22:06 PST 2006

Alert #113

  Village League
                                          Tax Revolt and Reform

  November 19, 2006

  WHERE DO WE STAND?

              Patience is the key!  It is difficult waiting for the Supreme Court ruling; however, we are fortunate that the Court is taking the time to think through all of the consequences of their decision. We do appreciate the carefulness implied in the time and effort that they are spending on our case, which is enormously important and will affect every one of the citizens of Nevada.

              The Court must consider every aspect of the case before them, as well as the duty of government to follow the law.  We are all willing to pay taxes to support our communities, schools and public services, provided that the taxes are lawful and equitable. How to equalize the tax burden over the entire state is a staggeringly difficult problem, and one that the Court is no doubt struggling to solve.

              In order for the Supreme Court to make a final decision that addresses all of the complex points made in the Maddox and Griffin courts and the ramifications thereof, we must patiently allow them all of the time that they need.  Keep the faith!!!

  AGENCY ACTIONS

              We were stunned to hear that the Nevada Tax Commission, in a hearing of which we received no Notice, increased the land values of all of the properties, with the exception of the lakefront parcels, in the Incline Village/Crystal Bay area by 15%.

              Can you believe that the Department of Taxation first suggested an increase of nearly 40%?!  The Washoe County Board of Equalization ruled last spring, as the Supreme Court had directed, to roll-back the assessed values of all of the 8700 parcels in the IV/CB area to the 2002-2003 tax year values.  However, the tax bills sent to the taxpayers by the Washoe County Treasurer were based on the 2006-2007 assessments instead.  Therefore, property owners are already assessed at incorrectly high values.

  The Washoe County Assessor appealed our victory before the County Board of Equalization to the State Board of Equalization, which refused to schedule any hearings and additionally stated that they have no “jurisdiction” over the situation.  What a mess!

  WHAT ARE WE DOING?

              We have filed a “Petition for Reconsideration” before the Nevada Tax Commission.  As the base values of the properties which they agreed to increase by 15% are in dispute and have been voided by two district courts; and the appraisal methods used to obtain the assessed base values have been declared illegal by two district courts, we feel that the acceptance by the Tax Commission of a 15% land value increase proposed by the Assessor should be prohibited.

              The Assessor argues that the actual taxes paid will only increase 3% on primary residential properties; therefore, the increase in the assessed values won’t make any difference.  IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  Should we be unsuccessful in obtaining relief in a reconsideration hearing before the Tax Commission we will immediately have our attorneys file an action in court for Judicial Review.

  DO WE NEED DONATIONS?

  You bet we do!  All of the machinations against us by the taxing agencies cause more legal fees to be incurred.  We desperately need funds in order to bring a successful and final conclusion to all that we have won.  Please help us by sending your donation to the Village League, before the end of the year if possible.  As most of you are aware, the League is an approved 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, so all contributions are tax deductible.  Checks should be made to:

  Village League
  1165 Vivian Lane
  Incline Village, Nevada
  89451

  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and God Bless America!

  Sincerely,

  Maryanne
  Maryanne Ingemanson, President

  Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
  Maryanne Ingemanson, President, Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman,
  Les Barta, Law Research, John Carney, Analyst, Wayne Fischer, Webmaster,
  Todd Lowe, Financial Analyst, Dale Akers, Historian, and Chuck Otto, Public Relations

  Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc. – an approved 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization
   FEIN 88-0399029
  1165 Vivian Lane - Incline Village, Nevada  89451 - telephone - 775-831-4011 - fax - 775 – 831-0325
  Email - mingemanson at charter.net