NPTR: Alert #142: What Happened on August 16th?

Wayne Fischer TahoeWayne at nvbell.net
Mon Aug 20 14:35:30 PDT 2007

*WHAT HAPPENED ON AUGUST 16TH?*

ALERT: #142
DATE: August 20, 2007
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

*Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners, *

    For those of you who have been following the ongoing saga of the Tax
Revolt, here is the latest.  On August 16th, we were scheduled to
present before the State Board of Equalization our remaining 2006-2007
cases and some of the 2007-2008 cases with the remainder of the
approximately one thousand 2007-2008 cases being heard on August 17th.

    The Board approved settlements for 8 of the remaining 2006-2007
cases.  The other 22 remaining 2006-2007 cases were not heard because
the hearing notice was determined to be inadequate.

    The Board also confirmed June 27 as the date that prior settlements
were approved and finalized.    That date is important because the
Department of Taxation is required to issue a Written Decision within 60
days of the Board approval.  The County has stated that it will not
issue refunds until it receives the Written Decision.

    That Written Decision should be issued by August 27.  We'll have to
see how fast the refunds are made after that.  Needless to say, the
County Treasurer, the County Assessor, the County Commissioners, the
County Manager (Katy Singlaub) and District Attorney Gammick are not
eager for that event to take place.

    To refresh your memories, in addition to the 300 Petitioners in
2006, the Village League had won a victory for all of the remaining 8700
residential property owners in Incline Village and Crystal Bay, which
mirrored the victory that we won for those who had actually filed their
Petitions.  Of course, the Assessor always Appeals any of our victories,
so that HUGE case is now before the Nevada Supreme Court, awaiting a
decision.

*WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 2007-2008 CASES?*

    After a thorough discussion of the wording of the Notice sent to all
of you and the Agenda posted by the Department of Taxation on its
website and elsewhere to provide public notice, the Board determined
that there was a potential for an Open Meeting Law violation.  The
decision was made to cancel the hearings scheduled on the 2007-2008
cases and re-notice and re-agendize those cases for hearing on September
13th and 14th.

    The continuance of the hearings could not be avoided in light of the
potential Open Meeting Law violation.  Re-scheduling the hearings for
September 13 and 14, however, gives the Nevada Supreme Court three
additional weeks during which to make a decision on our two incredibly
important cases that are now awaiting rulings.

*NOW WHAT?*

    The State Board members were adamant that our attorneys and the
Assessor attempt to come to an agreement as to a settlement of the
2007-2008 cases before the next scheduled hearing.  Whether this is
possible or not is anyone's guess.  There is no doubt that the Assessor
and Washoe County desperately want to send out supplemental higher tax
bills to all 1000 of you who received tax reductions due to the Village
League's victory before the County Board of Equalization last February.

    My apologies that this Alert is somewhat technical; however, much of
the work that we are currently doing IS technical and "behind the
scenes".  Don't think for a moment that we are resting on our laurels -
far from it - as this part of the battle is probably the most difficult
of all.  Long days and much frustration.

*NEVADA SUPREME COURT*

    We are so hopeful that the Supreme Court will issue favorable
rulings on our two HUGE cases that are presently before them.  All
decisions are released on Thursdays, so think good thoughts for us every
Thursday!!  We need all the mental strength that you can bring to bear.

Sincerely,

*/Maryanne Ingemanson/*

Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org
mingemanson at charter.net

*Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:*
    * Maryanne Ingemanson, President
    * Dale Akers, Historian
    * Les Barta, Law Research
    * John Carney, Analyst
    * Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
    * Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
    * Todd Lowe, Financial,
    * Chuck Otto, Public Relations

*Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.*
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325
Email: mingemanson at charter.net

#  #  #