NPTR: Alert #144: What About the Refunds

Wayne Fischer TahoeWayne at nvbell.net
Sat Sep 29 11:41:40 PDT 2007

*WHAT ABOUT THE REFUNDS?*

*ALERT:* #144
*DATE:* September 29, 2007
*TO:* Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
*FROM:* Village League Tax Revolt Committee

*Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners,*

    Many of the 300 homeowners who filed their Petitions for Appeal in
the 2006-2007 tax year have started receiving checks from the office of
the Washoe County Treasurer.  Some checks were sent to the property
owners directly and some were sent to our legal representatives to be
forwarded on to the recipients.  We have no idea why these
differentiations were made, but it really complicates our job of making
sure that every one of the 300 taxpayers receives their refund.

    But, there's more!  In analyzing for accuracy the first of the
checks to which we had access, we discovered that the Treasurer had
unilaterally reduced the refund amounts by the amount of the "Abatement"
that was indicated on the Recipients 2006 Tax Bills.  In some cases that
amount was substantial.

*WHAT SHOULD WE DO NOW?*

    For those of you who have already received refund checks or are
expecting them, we are suggesting that when you cash them, you first
write, "Accepted as partial payment" above your endorsement signature on
the back of the check.  Then, copy both the front and the back of the
check for your own files.

    We will be addressing this situation with our attorneys and Washoe
County; however, we have no way of guaranteeing the outcome.

*REAPPRAISALS ARE COMING!*

    The Assessor is currently doing reappraisal work for the 2008-2009
tax year in Incline Village and Crystal Bay.  In fact, many property
owners have seen appraisers analyzing the "view" of their home.

    You do NOT have to give them access to your home.  The Regulations
say that they must calculate the "view", or lack thereof, from the
land.  You can expect to receive the Assessor's "Christmas postcard" in
the later part of November or December stating the new assessed values
for your property.  Do not be surprised to see a very large taxable
value increase in your assessed land values.

    The Nevada Legislature enacted in 2005 the 3% tax cap for many of
the residential properties; therefore, no matter how much your
property's assessment  is increased, your tax liability cannot exceed
the actual taxes paid in the 2006 tax year by more than 3%, provided
that you have designated your property as your Nevada principal residence.

*
SUPREME COURT CASES?*

    We are still waiting, not so patiently, for rulings from the Nevada
Supreme Court on the three cases that are now pending there.  They are
so important!!!  If we receive favorable rulings, there could be more
refunds for more people.  In addition, we are expecting a clarification
regarding the use of "factoring", which suffers from the same problems
as did the appraisal methodologies previously used by the Assessor that
have already been found by the courts to be illegal and unconstitutional.

    Finally, we are beginning to see some results from our five years of
battling the tax bureaucracy.  With your continuing support, we will
soon see even more of our efforts come to fruition.

Sincerely,

*/Maryanne Ingemanson/*

Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org
mingemanson at charter.net

*Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:*
    * Maryanne Ingemanson, President
    * Dale Akers, Historian
    * Les Barta, Law Research
    * John Carney, Analyst
    * Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
    * Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
    * Todd Lowe, Financial,
    * Chuck Otto, Public Relations

*Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.*
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325
Email: mingemanson at charter.net

#  #  #