NPTR: Alert #149: Save the Date: January 7, 2008

Wayne Fischer TahoeWayne at nvbell.net
Fri Nov 30 16:22:10 PST 2007

*SAVE THE DATE:
JANUARY 7, 2008*

*ALERT:* #149
*DATE:* November 30, 2007
*TO:* Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
*FROM:* Village League Tax Revolt Committee

*Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners,*

The Supreme Court has scheduled oral arguments on:

January 7, 2008 - 9:00 A.M.
*Supreme Court Courtroom*
Chambers -- Second floor
201 South Carson Street
Carson City, Nevada 89701

    This is an event that you do not want to miss.  The results of the
decision of the Justices will affect EVERY SINGLE PARCEL in the Incline
Village and Crystal Bay areas.  Our Attorney, Suellen Fulstone, will be
representing us vs. the attorneys for the State of Nevada and Washoe
County before the entire Nevada Supreme Court, (somewhat of a "David and
Goliath" scenario.)  The case that is going to be heard is our "Writ of
Mandamus" lawsuit, probably the most important case of the three that
are presently awaiting decisions by the Supreme Court.

    Your presence at an occasion of this magnitude makes a huge impact
and can definitely affect the outcome.  Decorum and respect in the
Supreme Court chambers is strictly enforced.  Not a word is spoken by
observers and the Justices do notice inappropriate gestures or behavior
and can be swayed by them.  It is a solemn occasion and enormous
decisions will be made that will influence our lives.

    As those of you who attended the last Supreme Court hearing in June
2006 are aware, seating is limited, so I would strongly suggest that you
prepare to arrive at least 15 minutes early.  We won that case -- now
let's pray that we are as successful in getting another favorable
decision.  The scheduled hearing is only for a 30 minute period, so this
is not going to be an all day event.

    A public parking garage is located on South Stewart Street, just
past Fifth Street, and a parking lot is located between Carson Street
and Stewart on Fifth Street.  The Supreme Court building is located in
the middle of the Capitol Complex.

*PETITIONS -- 2008-2009?*

    All of us will be receiving the dreaded "Assessor's Christmas
Postcard", in the very near future, if you haven't received yours
already.  You will probably be staggered by yet another increase in your
property tax assessment value.  Assessor Josh Wilson has stated in the
newspaper, on radio and TV that increases over the 2007 tax year will be
justified; even though the real estate market, as we all know, has gone
down.  He hastened to add however, that your actual taxes can only be
increased by 3% over the prior year's amount.

    Frankly, I would still strongly suggest that you down load a
Petition for Appeal from our website at www.nevadapropertytaxrevolt.org
(click the Form section in the Menu,) print and fill it out. Then MAIL
it to the office of the Washoe County Assessor at:

*Washoe County Assessor*
P.O. BOX 11130
Reno, Nevada 895220-0027

They will only accept original signatures.  Be SURE to keep a copy for
your own files.  If you do this ASAP, you won't accidentally miss the
January 15th filing deadline, which is vitally important!  Also, call or
email the office of the Assessor:

Phone: 775-328-2200
Email: rlopez at mail.co.washoe.nv.us

and request the following:

    "... a copy of the most recent appraisal of my property including
without limitation, copies of any sales and all other materials used to
determine its taxable value" .

    By statute the Assessor has 15 days to provide this information
after your request.  Keep notes on everything that you ask for, the name
of everyone to whom you speak or anything that you provide at their request.

*WHAT ARE THE NOTICES OF DECISION?*

    Those of you who had filed your Petitions for Appeal to the County
Board of Equalization by January 15, 2007, and requested to be
represented by Attorney Suellen Fulstone, who had been engaged by the
Village League for the tax year 2007-2008, have by now received a Notice
of Decision from the State Board of Equalization.

    If you did not receive such a Notice, you were not part of the
consolidated group of approximately 1000 taxpayers, and the following
portion of this Alert does not apply to you.

    Many have called with questions regarding the Notice and what it
means.  NO WONDER THAT YOU ARE CONFUSED!  What the State Board has done
is to send what might as well be a court document, which only trained
attorneys could possibly understand.  The only part that will be
addressed here is the section on page 5 titled "Decisions".

    You will notice that your Taxable Value and Assessed Values for the
tax year 2007-2008 have increased from the amount, (which was the 2002
assessed value), that we won for you at the County Board of Equalization
last February and upon which the amounts of your recently received Tax
Bills were based.

    The Washoe County Assessor appealed the decision of the County Board
of Equalization to the State Board.  As you had directed, Attorney
Fulstone declined to accept the "settlement proposal" that was presented
by the Washoe County Assessor; which of course, was higher than the
decision made by the County Board of Equalization. The State Board of
Equalization, on September 28th, then ruled in favor of the Assessor and
accepted his proposal, which will increase your tax bill for 2007-2008.

    By statute, the State Board has 60 days to issue the Written
Decision of a ruling.  No legal action can be taken until after the
Written Decision is delivered.  Next week, Attorney Fulstone will be
filing an action in District Court for Judicial Review vs. the State
Board of Equalization and Washoe County.  All of you who received
Notices indicating an increase in your property values will be
represented in that case.

    You may be receiving a "Supplemental Tax Bill" from the Washoe
County Treasurer, which will indicate the actual increase in tax dollars
that they will claim that we owe.  If we are successful in obtaining a
favorable ruling from the District Court judge, the State probably will
attempt to appeal that ruling for yet another Supreme Court decision.

*WE NEED YOU!!*

We cannot express too strongly how important it is that you attend the
Nevada Supreme Court hearing on January 7, 2008!  Remember, "This win is
for you", and this is our toughest battle.  We need your support.

Sincerely,

*/Maryanne Ingemanson/*

Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org
mingemanson at charter.net

*Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:*
    * Maryanne Ingemanson, President
    * Dale Akers, Historian
    * Les Barta, Law Research
    * John Carney, Analyst
    * Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
    * Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
    * Todd Lowe, Financial,
    * Chuck Otto, Public Relations

*Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.*
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325
Email: mingemanson at charter.net

#  #  #