NPTR: Alert #153: 5th Year Anniversary of the Tax Revolt

Wayne Fischer TahoeWayne at nvbell.net
Sun Dec 23 16:51:24 PST 2007

*5th Year Anniversary of the Tax Revolt*

*ALERT: *#153
*DATE:* December 23, 2007
*TO: *Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
*FROM: *Village League Tax Revolt Committee

*Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Tax Protesters,*

Would you believe it was 5 years ago today when Ted Harris sent out the
first Tax Revolt Alert?  Ted Harris, plus many other people were up in
arms when they received the annual *"Christmas Postcard"* from the
Washoe County Assessor's office.  Most of the taxable value increases
were in the 100% range from the previous year. All were all in shock.
So what should be done?

Ted Harris and Les Barta asked Maryanne Ingemanson to try to help us
resolve what we all thought was a straight-forward tax allocation
problem. The thinking was that it would take approximately one year to
unscramble what we saw as a severe non-communication situation with the
Washoe County Assessor.  *LITTLE DID WE KNOW!!! *

Five years ago, the dollars you paid in property taxes were directly
calculated by multiplying the taxable value x 0.35 x the tax rate.  So a
100% increase would mean a 100% increase in the dollars you would pay
the following tax year.

The Village League hired an attorney to represent the taxpayers of
Incline Village and Crystal Bay as a group, to fight for fair and
equitable property tax assessments.

Rather than going into more details about the starting of our property
tax revolt, you may find it more interesting to read the first few
Alerts that were written by Ted Harris.  Just visit the following web
page and scroll to the bottom of the page. There you can read Alert #1,
then #2 and so on.
http://www.nevadapropertytaxrevolt.org/pages/AlertArchives01-49.html

It is interesting to note that the issues then are the same issues
today.  We have made huge progress in fighting for fair and equitable
property taxes; however, I am sorry to say that the battle is not over.
We never anticipated *the arrogance, the stubbornness, the
deceitfulness, and the lack of empathy *of the office of the Washoe
County Assessor, the Department of Taxation, the State Board of
Equalization and the Nevada Tax Commission.

The Nevada Supreme Court said it all in their first Order last December
28, 2006 which was unanimously in our favor. Hopefully, the next two
cases that are now before Supreme Court, scheduled for hearings on
January 7, 2008, will bring final closure to this long and extremely
difficult struggle.

*Merry Christmas and Happy New Year*

Best Regards,
*Wayne Fischer, *Webmaster
Nevada Property Tax Revolt Web
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

===================

*Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:*
    * Maryanne Ingemanson, President
    * Dale Akers, Historian
    * Les Barta, Law Research
    * John Carney, Analyst
    * Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
    * Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
    * Todd Lowe, Financial,
    * Chuck Otto, Public Relations

*Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.*
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325
Email: mingemanson at charter.net

#  #  #