NPTR: Alert #165: An Email Response from Suellen Fulstone

Wayne Fischer TahoeWayne at nvbell.net
Thu Mar 6 14:03:15 PST 2008

*An Email Response from Suellen Fulstone*

ALERT: #165
DATE: March 6, 2008
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

*Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Tax Protesters,*

One of our local taxpayers asked Attorney Suellen Fulstone several
questions about recent tax revolt events and issues.  Suellen's response
was very good and detailed.  Maryanne and I decided we should make an
Alert out of it for all of you to read.  It will add more insight and
answer some of the individual questions we have been fielding in the
last two weeks.

Below is the email message to Attorney Fulstone.  This is followed by
Suellen's response.

Best Regards,
*Wayne Fischer,* Webmaster
Nevada Property Tax Revolt Web
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

---------------------------------

Wednesday, March 05, 2008
To: Wayne Fischer; Suellen Fulstone; Maryanne Ingemanson

*Dear Suellen* (and Maryanne & Wayne):

Thanks for the update.  We received notice of the County's decision
number 08-xxxx regarding our petition for review just heard.

As I was preparing the appeal document for Suellen, my review of the
above notice seems to indicate that we were not represented in the
aforementioned petition by Suellen, or anyone else.  The findings of law
in the minutes were very narrow, i.e. that the County and the Assessor
have jurisdiction and that in our absence and in the absence of any
support for our review, we were denied ... the assessed values upheld.
While the outcome is not a surprise, I am surprised that we were
apparently not noted as represented by Suellen with the rest of the
group.  Last year's version of the same exercise did so note.

Were we not, for some reason, included in the general representation
including the contention that the assessor is not following the intent
of NRS?  We have for several years been part of the appellant group.
The minutes do not record that any arguments were advanced on our behalf
(either individually or collectively).  When we filed the petition for
review we recorded the Village League, et al, as our representative as
in the past.

I have reviewed the assessed land values for the APN's on our immediate
block and once again concluded that the County is applying its own
"logic" to parcels, such as whether or not a parcel backs onto the golf
course.  This practice is perfectly analogous to the "lake view"
distinctions which the courts have ruled inappropriate, in the only
successful taxpayer litigation to date.  I thought these kinds of
arguments were at least placed in the record for the benefit of appeal.
I emailed Maryanne and Suellen last year with this data.

If we were left out of the "mass representation" this year for some
reason, do I assume that we cannot designate Suellen as our
agent/counsel for purposes of the appeal?  We need to file the appeal
form soon, so it would be helpful to hear from you to confirm whether
(a) we were missed in the petition for review process, and (b) what our
representation options are for an appeal going forward.

Thanks for any input you have on this.
*Taxpayer*