NPTR: Alert #174: CLARIFICATION NEEDED?

Wayne Fischer tahoewayne at nvbell.net
Sat Jul 19 16:18:05 PDT 2008

CLARIFICATION NEEDED?

ALERT: #174
DATE: July 19, 2008
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Tax Protesters,

Attorney Fulstone was engaged by the Village League to represent, before the Washoe County Board of Equalization (CBOE)  in February 2007, all 900 parcel owners who had filed Petitions. She won a roll-back of the assessed values of those properties to their 2002 – 03 tax year.  The Assessor then appealed that victory to the State Board of Equalization (SBOE), which overturned the ruling of the CBOE. The Village League then engaged Attorney Fulstone to appeal the SBOE decision to the Carson City District Court, which precipitated the current situation regarding the filing fees.

Why is my name not in the list?
Many of you whose names were NOT found on the List that we received from the Carson City District Court have asked why.  This is especially true for those of you who had recently received “Notices of Hearings” from Amy Harvey, the Washoe County Clerk. The hearing notices that you received, since February 2008, are for the 2008 - 09 property tax year.

The case currently before the Carson Court, for which we must pay filing fees is for the 2007- 08 tax year.  Therefore you needed to have filed an appeal to the CBOE by January 15, 2007 (a year and a half ago).

Unfortunately, if a Petition to appeal a property tax assessment to the Washoe County Board of Equalization (CBOE) was not filed before January 15, 2007, we cannot now add that parcel to the subject case.

Filing Fee for each Plantiff
Please note that we were not previously aware of the rule that each individual Plaintiff must be charged a filing fee, as the Nevada Legislature mandated this change in their 2006 session.  Judge Russell’s court now has to follow the new law.

The Nevada tax system is very confusing to say the least! Having to file two Petitions each and every year, one for the CBOE and then another for the SBOE is truly ridiculous.  Hopefully, when we receive our Written Decision from the Supreme Court it will bring some finality to our quest for justice.

Sincerely,

Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

---------------------------------

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
- Maryanne Ingemanson, President
- Dale Akers, Historian
- Les Barta, Law Research
- John Carney, Analyst
- Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
- Ted Harris, Tax Revolt Committee Chairman
- Todd Lowe, Financial,
- Chuck Otto, Public Relations

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

#  #  #