NPTR: Alert 191: Tax Revolt Already is Top Story for 2009

Wayne Fischer tahoewayne at nvbell.net
Fri Jan 2 12:30:02 PST 2009

TAX REVOLT ALREADY IS TOP STORY FOR 2009

ALERT: #191
DATE: January 2, 2009
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Tax Protesters,

The North Lake Tahoe Bonanza declared that our tax revolt efforts will be the top story for 2009.  What a way to start the New Year!

Read below the editorial published by the Bonanza today.

TOP STORY OF 2009
NLT Bonanza Editorial

When the Bonanza last week narrowed down its choices for the top 10 story topics of 2008, it was not an easy task, and many story topics just missed the cut.

One of those story topics was the tax revolt situation in Incline Village and Crystal Bay, an issue that has been ongoing for six years, a topic the Bonanza staff, both current and past, has written about extensively in this space.

There’s no doubt this is a very important issue to this community, and that was assured as 2008 wound down, when Judge Charles McGee added to a list of big decisions by higher courts last year by ruling that Washoe County must refund 830 parcels as soon as possible.

This decision could hold a ton of bearing for all the other pending cases. Unlike the Oct. 30 Supreme Court decision that affects 8,700 parcels, in which it is unknown if or when refunds will be given, Judge McGee’s ruling orders refunds to happen ASAP, and county staff right now is working the numbers.

The dominoes are falling, folks, and with each powerful ruling from the district and state supreme courts, it seems they are tumbling with a bit more force. It’s only a matter of time before the State Board of Equalization reconvenes to hear the 8,700 cases that stem from the Oct. 30 court order in regard to the 2006-2007 tax year.

If the state board rules Washoe County must refund 8,700 parcels, the dominoes will begin falling like sledgehammers.

At a time when the county might struggle to find funds for 830 refunds, what happens if the SBOE decides soon they need to come up with 10 times that?

For these reasons, we did not include the tax revolt among the top stories of last year. Instead, we see this as the No. 1 story heading into 2009.

By the time this year is over, and we compile our top stories of 2009, the tax revolt will be an easy choice for the No. 1 slot.

So easy, in fact, that we’ve already made the call.

**************************

Two additional articles:
The headline in the Bonanza today states:

COURT DEMANDS 830 REFUNDS

Click on the following link to read the entire article:

www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org/09/090102b-Bonanza.pdf

On Wednesday the Reno Gazette Journal also published an article on the December 19, 2008 ruling by Judge McGee.

INCLINE VILLAGE RESIDENTS WIN TAX CASE

Click on the following link to read the article:

 www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org/08/RGJ-081231.pdf

We promised that you would soon be receiving more news in your Alerts. This is just the beginning!!  Stay tuned!!

Sincerely,

Maryanne  Ingemanson
Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

---------------------------------

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
- Maryanne Ingemanson, President
- Dale Akers, Historian
- Les Barta, Law Research
- John Carney, Analyst
- Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
- Todd Lowe, Financial,
- Chuck Otto, Public Relations

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

#  #  #