NPTR: Alert 192: Possible Breakthrough!!

Wayne Fischer tahoewayne at nvbell.net
Wed Jan 7 11:43:05 PST 2009

POSSIBLE BREAKTHROUGH!!

ALERT: #192
DATE: January 7, 2009
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Tax Protesters,

Thanks to Kevin MacMillan, Editor of the Tahoe Bonanza, we were noticed yesterday that a letter received from the Washoe County Manager, Katy Simon, stated the following:

“Given the precedent setting Nevada Supreme Court Bakst Case decision in 2006, our offer stands to settle outstanding cases with the same facts, consistent with this ruling which provides refunds with interest to eligible property owners as defined by the court.”

Our Attorney, Suellen Fulstone, after consultations with Board Members of the Village League, replied as follows.

“If the Washoe County Commissioners have authorized Ms. Simon to make such an offer, the League will be delighted to meet with her and any other decision makers in an effort to settle this six year legal battle regarding property taxes.”

IT PAYS TO BE PERSISTENT

Our first attempt to come to a settlement of all pending tax cases was on June 29, 2005. Three of the Village League Directors, and our attorney met with the attorneys for the State, the County, the Assessor (McGowan), and the Director of the State Department of Taxation to present a settlement proposal for all of the lawsuits then outstanding. We were told, in no uncertain terms, that they were not the least bit interested.

On May 16, 2007 Attorney Suellen Fulstone and two League Directors met, at the invitation of the County, with the Washoe County Attorney, the Washoe County Treasurer and Assessor (Wilson), Chief Deputy Treasurer, and two attorneys representing individual clients, to discuss a “macro settlement” to be proposed by the County. However, immediately upon our arrival we were told by the Attorney for Washoe County that a settlement of all of the cases was not possible and only one year would be discussed. He further stated that he didn’t have the authority to come to any agreement.  When directly asked who did have the authority, he stated that he didn’t know.

As recently as last December, Attorney Fulstone broached the subject of a comprehensive settlement of all cases to State and County attorneys on at least three occasions.  She was told that no one had authority and that delaying refunds to taxpayers was in the County's best interests.

It was only through the efforts of Kevin MacMillan that we were made aware of any offer of settlement, outstanding or otherwise, that was being made by Washoe County for all of Incline Village and Crystal Bay.

WE ARE TRULY HOPEFUL

Perhaps, at long last, all of the taxpayers of Incline Village and Crystal Bay will be receiving refunds of overpaid property taxes plus interest. In the recent order of the Supreme Court regarding the 2006/2007 tax year, the State Board of Equalization (SBOE) was directed to equalize taxes on 8700 properties in the Incline Village and Crystal Bay areas, as had been done by the County Board of Equalization (CBOE) in 2006. We presume that Ms. Simon is including these parcels as “eligible property owners as defined by the court”.

The courts have spoken. The orders have been issued. Our efforts are being vindicated.

In any meetings that are scheduled, (hopefully in the near future), to discuss Ms. Simon’s settlement  proposal, the Village League and Suellen Fulstone, our attorney, will be representing all Incline Village and Crystal Bay taxpayers.  We will be sending Alerts following the course of what we anticipate will be successful negotiations to end the ongoing legal battles. Keep us in your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Maryanne  Ingemanson
Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

---------------------------------

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
- Maryanne Ingemanson, President
-Dale Akers, Historian
-Les Barta, Law Research
- John Carney, Analyst
- Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
- Todd Lowe, Financial,
- Chuck Otto, Public Relations

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

#  #  #