NPTR: Alert 208: What Is It?

Wayne Fischer tahoewayne at nvbell.net
Mon May 25 07:23:54 PDT 2009

WHAT IS IT?

ALERT: #208
DATE: May 25, 2009
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Tax Protesters,

Many of you have asked just that question in the last few days! Every taxpayer in the Incline Village and Crystal Bay area recently received a State Board of Equalization Notice of a hearing scheduled for June 10, 2009 - 9:00 A.M. at 1919 College Parkway, Carson City in the Gaming Control Board Room.

In the tax year 2006-2007, the Washoe County Board of Equalization ruled that the values of ALL residential properties in the Incline Village and Crystal Bay area should be rolled-back to their 2002-2003 assessed property values, and that the owners should receive refunds for the over paid taxes plus interest.

This 2006 Washoe County Board of Equalization decision was appealed by the Washoe County Assessor to the State Board of Equalization. When the State Board of Equalization finally heard the appeal a year later they tried to send the case back to a then existing (new) Washoe County Board of Equalization in an attempt to get the decision changed. The Village League filed a Writ of Mandamus in the Nevada Supreme Court to stop this blatant attempt to overturn our original Washoe County Board of Equalization victory.

Last October the Nevada Supreme Court ruled in our favor and ordered the State Board of Equalization to withdraw its decision to send the case back to the new Washoe County Board of Equalization and to proceed to hear our case, which we previously won on behalf of every single taxpayer, before the 2006 Washoe County Board of Equalization.

Note that several of the Washoe County Board of Equalization members are replaced each year.  These new members are selected by our Washoe County Commissioners, who are against any massive property tax refunds.  Therefore it is likely that the more recent board members would vote against favorable tax refunds.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?

We have no idea!  Of course, the right thing for the State Board of Equalization to do would be to uphold the previous decision in our favor made by the Washoe County Board in 2006.

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?

Once again, we ask that you attend the hearing on June 10, 2009.  Remember, this decision will affect every residential property owner in the Incline Village and Crystal Bay area, whether or not you filed an individual Petition for Appeal in 2006!

This is one of the most important cases for which we are still doing battle!

We need you to continue to show your support for our efforts.  It has only been with your moral and financial encouragement that we have been able to obtain refunds to date of more than $6,500,000 in over-paid property taxes for about 1000 of our taxpayers. Now, we are close to receiving relief for ALL of the other 7000 property owners as well.

PLEASE BE THERE!

State Board of Equalization Hearing
June 10, 2009, 9:00 A.M.
Gaming Control Board Room
1919 College Parkway,
Carson City, NV

Sincerely,

    Maryanne Ingemanson

Maryanne Ingemanson, President
Village League to Save Incline Assets
mingemanson at charter.net
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

---------------------------------

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
- Maryanne Ingemanson, President
- Dale Akers, Historian
- Les Barta, Law Research
- John Carney, Analyst
- Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
- Todd Lowe, Financial,
- Chuck Otto, Public Relations

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325

#  #  #