NPTR: Alert #226: Arrival of Christmas Postcards

Wayne Fischer wayne.fischer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 11:07:57 PST 2009

ARRIVAL OF CHRISTMAS POSTCARDS

ALERT:#226
DATE:December 10, 2009
TO:Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners
FROM:Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Tax Protesters,

The question most often asked after taxpayers review their new assessed property values on the Christmas Postcard from the Washoe County Assessor is:  Why are my taxes continuing to rise when the value of my property is declining?

The short answer is Assembly Bill 489 which was passed in the 2005 Legislature Session. This statute, allows an increase in actual taxes of only 3% or 8% per year more than the taxes paid the previous year. For most properties the base rate for the annual increase was the amount of property tax paid in the 2004-2005 tax year. Until the actual taxes due become less than what was paid in a prior year they will continue to increase.

The Village League cannot change the law or change the tax rate set by the County, but we have seen the Assessor reduce land values in the Incline Village/Crystal Bay area by approximately 35% since the 2008-2009 tax year.

And Washoe County has been ordered to PAY 2006 tax year refunds plus 6% interest to every residential property owner in Incline Village and Crystal Bay. As a result of Judge Adams' powerful Order, the Tax Cap base rate will be lowered to the 2002-2003 tax year. That will reduce the 3% or 8% annual increase for all of the years after 2006.

Those refunds are not going away and the County is increasing the amount they owe the property owners by an annualized 6% each and every day that they delay issuing the checks.

Meanwhile, the Assessor continues to use the same methods to assess our properties that the Supreme Court ruled illegal.

The recent articles that the Nevada Policy Research Institute (NPRI) has published have certainly added credibility to the ongoing seven year battle of the Village League. Our efforts have been justified by the press and the courts’ decisions.

All necessary legal actions have been filed by Attorney Suellen Fulstone.

No new Petitions for Appeal will be initiated by the Village League for the tax year 2010-2011.

If individual taxpayers wish to file personal appeals, the new Petition for Appeal form must be obtained by contacting the Washoe County Assessor’s office.

Our best wishes for a very MERRY CHRISTMAS,and aHAPPY NEW YEAR.

Sincerely,

    Maryanne Ingemanson

Maryanne Ingemanson,President
Village League to Save Incline Assets
mingemanson at charter.net
www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

---------------------------------

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:
- Maryanne Ingemanson,President
- Dale Akers, Historian
- Les Barta,Law Research
- John Carney,Analyst
- Wayne Fischer, Webmaster
- Todd Lowe, Financial,
- Chuck Otto, Public Relations

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.
1165 Vivian Lane, Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775-831-4011, Fax 775-831-0325

#  #  #