NPTR: Alert 291 Extra Innings

Nevada Property Tax Revolt Alert Email Group alert at NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org
Sun Aug 27 16:12:22 PDT 2017

Extra Innings

ALERT: #291

DATE: August 27, 2017
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners

FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Welcome to the next episode in the twists and turns of our 14 year old property tax lawsuit.  Earlier this year the Nevada Supreme Court issued its third major decision in this case, declaring the State Board of Equalization's order to reappraise 2003 – 2005 property values outside its statutory authority and directing the District Court to equalize the assessments for those years as required by law.

District Court Judge Patrick Flanagan held a hearing on June 1 to review the Supreme Court's ruling.  The County and State wanted the judge to send the case back to the State Board of Equalization.  The Village League argued that, under the Supreme Court's ruling, the District Court should just make the necessary legal rulings and get the matter resolved.  The Judge, however, decided in mid-July to send the matter back to the State Board of Equalization.

The remedy to equalize the unconstitutional assessments in the Incline Village area is crystal clear and written in stone:  properties were unconstitutionally valued and those values are void; taxes paid on those unconstitutional values must be refunded.  Repeatedly, since 2006, the Nevada Supreme Court has made this clear – in the separate landmark decisions known as Bakst, Barta, Village League, and others.  The State Board has already concluded that there is a lack of equalization at Incline Village/Crystal Bay for the tax years 2003-2005.  In fairness and under the law, all residential properties must be set to 2002 constitutional values and excess taxes refunded.  County and State officials, however, continue to defy the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court has stated openly that this matter has gone on far too long.  Judge Flanagan, as well, decried the injustice of the long delay.  Yet here we are again, looking at another hearing before the State Board most likely to be followed by another round of appeals in the District Court and possibly in the Supreme Court.  Government officials have no sympathy for taxpayers whose properties have been unconstitutionally valued and who pay their salaries but apparently endless resources to frustrate our efforts for justice.

So we are before the State Board again.  The Board has set a hearing for this coming Tuesday, August 29 at 8:30 AM in Room 2134 of the Legislative Counsel Bureau on 401 South Carson Street, Carson City.  We welcome / encourage your participation and hope to see you there.

We have filed a number of objections with the Board and will appear on Tuesday to make the case once again for an equalization order that remedies unconstitutional valuations by the Washoe County Assessor and bring justice to Incline Village/Crystal Bay residential property taxpayers.   We continue to have faith in a just result and thank you for the support you have given throughout this long process.

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:

-Todd Lowe, President
-Les Barta, Vice President
-Dale Akers, Secretary Treasurer
-Dean Ingemanson, Director

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.

www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

Village.League at yahoo.com

77 Shoreline Circle, Incline Village, NV 89451

# # #