NPTR: Alert 293

Nevada Property Tax Revolt Alert Email Group alert at NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org
Tue Dec 5 17:41:05 PST 2017

The State Board’s Vanishing Equalization Act

// The State Board of No Equalization

ALERT: #293

DATE: December 5, 2017
TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners

FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Last week the State Board of Equalization issued its latest order on the case we filed in 2003. The order was 30 days late and is full of mistakes. Among its highlights is the State Board’s finding that the equalization problem in the Incline Village area, which everyone including the State Board has known to exist since 2003 and which the State Board itself already found to exist in this same case, has vanished! Inspired by this “logic,” the State Board decided to uphold values it had already found to be unconstitutional.  After 14 years of litigation, multiple Supreme Court decisions telling the State Board that unconstitutional valuations are unequal and void, and the Board's own finding that thousands of properties at Incline Village/Crystal Bay were unconstitutionally valued during the years 2003-2005 creating a lack of equalization that had to be remedied, the Board, driven by misinformation knowingly provided by the Department of Taxation, decided to nullify the Bakst and Barta decisions.  This is just what the Supreme Court was trying to avoid when it sent the case back to the district court for all further proceedings.  Contact us if you would like to be sent a copy of the complete order.

The behavior of state officials has been disgraceful. They have corrupted the process and caused pain for taxpayers and huge potential costs for the county and state. Washoe County may end up paying over $50 million in liabilities including some $5000 per day in interest when this case is over.  Every additional day hurts.  Much of this could have been avoided if officials had simply obeyed the law and respected taxpayers’ rights.

We already forecast that one last trip before the Supreme Court would be required, so here we go.  We are in the right and we should prevail but our journey continues and gets more expensive.
We have sustained this fight for justice thanks to the generous contributions from IV / CB property owners over these many years. Your continued support is critical to help cover the significant legal costs ahead. We ask you and your neighbors here in Incline Village and Crystal Bay to make a tax-deductible contribution to the Village League to Save Incline Assets. Please mail your contribution to the address below. The Village League and our lawyers will continue the battle for all of us with total commitment to a just result.

Meanwhile we wish you all happy holidays and will continue to keep you informed of our progress.

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:

-Todd Lowe, President
-Les Barta, Vice President
-Dale Akers, Secretary Treasurer
-Dean Ingemanson, Director

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.

www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

Village.League at yahoo.com

77 Shoreline Circle, Incline Village, NV 89451

# # #