NPTR: Alert 308: Thanksgiving

Nevada Property Tax Revolt Alert Email Group alert at NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org
Fri Oct 30 13:56:13 PDT 2020

Thanksgiving

ALERT: #308

DATE: October 30, 2020

TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners

FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners,

With Thanksgiving nigh and $56 million dollars of excess taxes being returned to IV/CB residents, we wanted to take a moment to recognize the people and efforts that made this result possible.

Most notable for their remarkable vigilance and persistence were Village League founder Maryanne Ingemanson and Ted Harris. Some 20 years ago they assembled a board of volunteers and mobilized our community to act. Every effort we have taken is in honor of their memory and in service of their lives’ work. The subsequent years of intense hearings, sessions, and litigation culminated in refunds for illegal property taxes, now-exceeding $100 million dollars, to every resident from 2003 through 2011.  This result could not have happened without the stellar counsel of our lawyers, navigating the course of seemingly endless lawsuits and multiple trips to the Supreme Court.  Most notable are Suellen Fulstone, Norm Azevedo and Jessica Prunty.

After so many years of opposing government abuse, we owe special thanks to Assessor Mike Clark, County Commissioner, Marsha Berkbigler, and County Manager, Eric Brown.   Their conscience and grace were crucial to ending this long and expensive, epic fight.  And we will all be rejoicing when Treasurer Tammi Davis, who was an integral part of the settlement design, starts processing our claims and sending refund checks.

We also celebrate that our diligent courts served justice, which, itself, is a victory for all.  Our journey required no fewer than four trips to the Nevada Supreme Court. We are most grateful for Washoe District Court judge Kathleen Drakulich and her resoundingly fair and thoughtful decision.

And finally, we must thank you – the residents of IV/CB, a caring and courageous community, willing to hold government accountable. Your unwavering support and donations made this long fight viable and ultimately successful. The money restored through this settlement rightly returns what each of our community members deserves. And your continued support can help us connect your friends and neighbors with the refunds to which they are entitled and have patiently awaited.

If you know anyone who may have moved beyond our neighborhoods or is not a current subscriber to our email Alerts, please help us by forwarding this message or directing them to our webpage:

 www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

This will not be our last battle, and we know our work is not yet finished. You can count on the Village League to Save Incline Assets to usher us through the refund process and to remain always vigilant in protecting the interests of our community.

“The price of liberty is eternal vigilance”

Thomas Jefferson

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:

-Todd Lowe, President

-Les Barta, Vice President

-Dale Akers, Secretary Treasurer

-Dean Ingemanson, Director

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.

www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

Village.League at yahoo.com

# # #