NPTR: Alert 312: Property Tax Refund Updates

Nevada Property Tax Revolt Alert Email Group alert at NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org
Mon Jan 18 14:10:25 PST 2021

Property Tax Refund Updates

ALERT: #312

DATE: January 18, 2021

TO: Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners

FROM: Village League Tax Revolt Committee

Dear Incline Village & Crystal Bay Property Owners,

We are pleased to report the good progress made by the Washoe County Treasurer to notify residents of their eligibility for their property tax refund.  More than 3,600 notices have already been sent and about 1,000 claims have been submitted.  We expect the total number of refunds to be about 9,400, so we still have some distance to go.

Remember that refunds are due to all Incline Village or Crystal Bay residential property owners of record who had their assessments unlawfully increased in 2003.  The Court order covers taxpayers owning property for the period July 1, 2003 through June 30, 2006.

The audience for these email alerts will narrow after today.  Going forward, alerts on the topic of the property tax refunds will be sent only to those who have recently registered on our website.  The Village League has pursued various community causes and has thousands of supporters and interested parties over many years.  But we don’t wish to inundate the mailboxes of those not impacted by this particular matter.   Don’t worry, we will continue to communicate to all regarding other issues and actions of the Village League.

If you are a prospective refund recipient it is critical that you register if you have not already done so.  Otherwise you risk being improperly noticed, and you may miss important instructions and deadlines beyond which no refund will be paid.  Unlike the past where residents could simply wait for a check to arrive only those residents submitting claims in time will receive refunds.  Moreover, if the County is forced to employ search services to locate you and provide notice the cost of that search will be deducted from your refund.

If you have already successfully registered, GREAT!  Your information has been updated, and you should receive proper notice from the County and also receive important updates and information from the Village League.

If you have not already registered, please follow these steps:

	1) Go to the “MY TAX REFUND” page of our website.

		https://nevadapropertytaxrevolt.org/?page_id=22

	2) Scroll down and click on the “LOOKUP MY TAX REFUND” link

	3) Next click on the “Not yet registered” link.

Finally, we wish to thank the many, many residents who have sent donations and pledges of support.  Some have contributed their entire refund.  Others have pledged 5% or 10% of their refund amounts.  We are so very grateful.  Your tax deductible contributions are the reason we have made it to this point.   Negotiating the settlement agreement over the past 8 months, which we believe is in the best interest of both IV/CB residents and the County, required over $240,000 in legal fees on our part.    Prevailing in court to set the stage for the settlement opportunity cost 10X that much.   Together we have achieved what would have been impossible individually.

The League operates with no paid administrative support and no overhead, relying solely unpaid volunteers and contributed facilities. So we apply every dollar you so generously donate directly toward necessary professional legal, compliance and accounting services.

Still, we are not done.   It will require another three years of hard work to make sure the tax refund settlement is faithfully executed and every taxpayer who was overtaxed receives the refund deserved.  And even after that, the League will continue to work to achieve fair treatment for Incline Village and Crystal Bay residents and their families.

Village League to Save Incline Assets Board Members:

-Todd Lowe, President

-Les Barta, Vice President

-Dale Akers, Secretary Treasurer

-Dean Ingemanson, Director

Village League to Save Incline Assets, Inc.

www.NevadaPropertyTaxRevolt.org

Village.League at yahoo.com

# # #